Bus and Lorry driver Practical Driving Test
Your practical test will last about 90 minutes and include:
- vehicle safety questions
- practical road driving
- off-road exercises
Vehicle safety questions
You’ll be asked some vehicle safety questions at the start of your test.
Practical road driving
During your practical road driving, the examiner will see how you:
- use the vehicle controls
- move away at an angle, uphill and downhill
- do a braking test
- use the mirrors
- give appropriate signals
- show awareness and anticipation of other road users intentions
- manage your progress and control your vehicle speed
- deal with hazards
- select a safe place to stop
There will also be 10 minutes of independent driving, designed to test your ability to drive safely while making independent decisions.
The off-road exercises will include:
- an ‘S’ shaped reverse into a bay
- showing the uncoupling and re-coupling procedure if you’re taking a test with a trailer (category C+E)
After you’ve taken the practical test your examiner will tell you if you’ve passed and explain how you did. If you fail, you have to wait 3 clear working days before you can take the test again.